My friend Lori asked me to join her for another recipe series — only this time, we’re firing up the grill.
Well, the Husband is firing up the grill. This mommy-chef doesn’t do fire. Not. At. All.
Thankfully, the Husband doesn’t mind and, in fact, likes our arrangement: I prepare everything… he plays with the fire and cooks it. Then, he gets the first bite.
Win-win for both of us.
Another win-win is this Grilled White Pizza with Chicken and Kale. We both adore grilled pizza. There’s just something about what the flames do to a pizza crust — it’s a beautiful, smokey, toasty thing.
(cue my stomach growling from just thinking about it!)
With this pizza, I can’t decide which component was my favorite . . . which ingredient made this pizza the one that caused both the Husband and I to moan after the first bite.
Yeah . . . it is seriously that good.
I know the caramelized shallots (my newest ingredient obsession) are a must. The tender baby kale is a must. The seasoned chicken is a must. It all cozies up with the alfredo sauce and makes a happy relationship in my mouth.
Sigh … I wish there was still some of this hanging out in my fridge. But, no — we ate it all. Inhaled it, really. I can’t even remember if we gave some to the Kidlets. Surely we did — they would have pitched a fit if they didn’t get food.
All I remember is the perfection of this smokey, creamy pizza.
Grilled White Pizza with Chicken and Kale
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup very warm water
- 1 tablespoon Italian Blend Herbs
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups flour (half stone-ground whole wheat and half bread flour)
- 1 cup of Alfredo sauce*
- 2 cups cooked & shredded chicken breast**
- 2 cups baby kale
- 2 shallots
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup of mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup of asiago cheese
For the Crust:
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. Let it sit about 5 minutes and then add the remaining ingredients, mixing well with a heavy duty wooden spoon.
- The next step is to knead it; you can either knead it on a floured counter surface OR do it the lazy way: just knead it directly in the mixing bowl. I usually do this because it is just simpler for me since I’m already mixing it there.
- Roll it out on a floured surface. Since you are grilling this crust, be sure to check the size and shape of your grill before you make the crust to fit your normal oven pan.
- Place the crust on a baking sheet and set aside until you are ready to grill.
For the toppings:
- In a small saute pan, caramelize the shallots and minced garlic in about a tablespoon of olive oil. Once they have gotten that lovely caramel color, remove from the pan and drain on a paper towel.
- Place the pizza crust on your heated grill (hot enough that you can only hold your hand to it for a few seconds) and close the lid. Allow it to cook, undisturbed, for 2-3 minutes.
- Check on the crust, which should have a nice color to the side directly on the grill. Remove it and flip it, placing the cooked side up.
- Add your toppings, in the following order, to the cooked side: alfredo sauce, mozzarella cheese, baby kale, shredded/cooked chicken, shallots and garlic, asiago cheese.
- Return the pizza to the grill, placing the uncooked side directly on the grill grate. Cover and cook 2-3 minutes until the crust has an even color and your cheeses have melted.
- Using a grill spatula, remove the pizza onto a baking sheet/pan.
- Serve immediately.
*Since I only needed 1 cup, I used a prepared alfredo sauce from my grocery store.
**For the chicken, I used seasoned chicken I had cooked the day before. You could easily use rotisserie chicken. My chicken was simple: 5-6 chicken breasts, marinated in Lawry’s Mediterranean Herb and White Wine Marinade for 30 minutes. Dump the chicken and marinade into a large frying pan and cook over medium heat until they are cooked through. Let rest and then either serve immediately or shred for future meals (storing in the freezer (1-2 cup portions) using freezer safe bags).
Every Friday in June, Lori from My Kinda Rain and I will dishing up our new favorite grilled recipes, AND offering a linky so you can add or find other great recipes.
What recipes will you see here?
- June 8: Grilled Corn and Black Bean Pico de Gallo
- June 15: Grilled Peaches and Homemade Ice-Cream with a Spiced Caramel Sauce
- June 22: Grilled Bacon & Blue Burgers
And … honestly, I can’t decide on the last recipe. I’m torn between three different ideas — so we will let that one be a surprise!
Alrighty — link up your favorite grilled recipes…