For nearly 8 months, we have led a primarily grain-free lifestyle. I can’t say it has been 100% paleo or even 100% grain-free over that time-period. There have been times when I’ve indulged in my favorite comfort foods, enjoyed the chewiness of bread, or wanted (and made) a wheat flour pizza crust.
It’s hard to transition –and it’s been hardest for my Husband and boys. While the Little Lady has a definite need for gluten-free foods and I do so much better eating grain-free (thanks to PCOS and Rheumatoid Arthritis), the guys in our house don’t have pressing physiological issues that warrant avoiding grains.
Now, the Husband has recognized that he feels much better and doesn’t experience any bloating while eating grain-free; but that doesn’t stop him from enjoying fast-food during the day at lunch. And the boys, well, they missed sandwiches. And oatmeal. And rice.
So, where does this leave our household?
- With a small exception, all of our meals are grain-free. If I don’t make it, I don’t eat it …. so I continue to plan and develop recipes free of grains.
- The Little Lady is still gluten-free; for a brief part of the summer, we thought her digestive issues had gone away and wheat was reintroduced. After a couple of weeks, the problems came back! So, we quickly switched her back to gluten-free and she will remain so. She isn’t happy about it — just last night, she was upset, saying she misses regular bread and cupcakes and pancakes. It’s hard to explain things to a 7-year-old …. sigh.
- The Husband is about 80% grain-free … which is the time that he spends at home. At work, he does what he wants. (just like a man)
- The Boys are on a whole-grain diet. After the school year finished, I decided to bring back their almond-butter sandwiches and morning steel-cut oats. The rest of their snacks and dinner options will remain grain-free, but — honestly — I grew tired of the whining and crying for sandwiches and oatmeal. That’s the plain and simple truth!
So, yeah. I’m weak — that’s basically the gist of this post!!! But, I wanted to admit and explain why you may see regular sandwiches in bentos from time to time.
(Whew … I feel so much better now that I’ve come clean!)
What We’re Eating This Week
I’m sure you’ll notice a LOT of recipe development projects this week; these are recipes I’ve been working on the past month and this week I’m shooting the final, perfected versions. They are all AWESOME and will be shared through-out the next several weeks.
- Monday: Grain-free Chicken Nuggets, Sweet Potato Fries, Salad (I’m double the batch of nuggets so I have some for the freezer — it’s time to stock-up for school!)
- Tuesday: Grilled Shrimp Tacos (recipe development project – final stage which means I’m photographing this time so I can share them!)
- Wednesday: Ham and Cheese Pinwheels, carrots and fruit (yes, a kid-lunch for dinner … perfect before we join friends at a church swim-party)
- Thursday: Crockpot Italian Stuffed Bell Peppers (recipe development project – final stage which means I’m photographing this time so I can share them!)
- Friday: Grain-free Pizza
- Saturday: Grain-free Salmon Patties (recipe development project – final stage which means I’m photographing this time so I can share them!), asparagus, salad
- Sunday: Crockpot Asian Apricot Sausage Bites (recipe development project – final stage which means I’m photographing this time so I can share them!), roasted green beans, salad
What’s for dinner at your house this week?
p.s. Don’t forget that I have a printable meal planner for you if you need it to get organized for Back To School!