So. Yeah … this winter weather is cold.
TOO. STINKING. COLD.
Even here in Texas — the more southern end, mind you, it’s cold. We’ve had ice, snow, blustery winds, school delays, school CLOSINGS … all things we Texans are not used to. Sure, the first hour of looking at icicles was fun but after the first couple of hours, we all realized we much more prefer our flip-flops and then we started whining.
And I started making soup.
‘Cause that’s what you (ok, ME) want when it’s cold and yucky outside. I want soup and I want hearty, creamy soups. I want all the coziness of my childhood. I want it all in a great big, steamy bowl.
Chicken Pot Pie was always one of my favorite foods growing up … my Mama makes a killer one that is topped with perfectly soft biscuits (no pie crust for us). I miss it. It’s awesome.
But, now I can’t have wheat flour thickened dishes or flour biscuit topped recipes. And, the Little Lady isn’t supposed to be consuming milk …. sooooooo this gluten-free and dairy-free Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup is what comes to the rescue for all of us.
I’ve made it over and over and over the past few weeks, perfecting it and loving it. And this — the final version — is creamy, thick and full of all the flavor I love from my Mama’s Chicken Pot Pie.
(and, no — despite the coconut milk, it isn’t coconutty. Just get that fear right out of your head.)
Now, if you DO wanna eat it with some biscuits, I’m in love with these grain-free biscuits from Satisfying Eats. They light and delicious (and what inspired my Grain-Free Pizza Bites…. just an fyi).
- 4 Boneless and Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 3 ribs Celery (roughly ¾ cup chopped)
- ½ large White Onion (roughly 1.5 cups chopped)
- 2 cups chopped Butternut Squash (half of medium squash)
- 2.5 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 can Full Fat Unsweetend Coconut Milk (can alternate with Half-Half or Whole Milk if non-paleo or primal)
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper (black is fine if you have it)
- ½ tsp dried Thyme
- ¼ tsp ground Oregano
- 1 cup Frozen Green Beans (add 30 min prior to serving)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- Into your 6-quart slow-cooker, place the chicken thighs, chopped celery, onion, butternut squash, and corn (if using it).
- Add the broth and unsweetened coconut milk (or dairy). Stir in the the salt, white pepper, dried thyme, and oregano.
- Turn the slow-cooker to high and allow to cook 3-4 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and the butternut squash is tender. Using two forks, shred the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Add the frozen green beans and frozen green peas, and allow to cook for 30 minutes more.
- Before serving, and if the coconut milk has separated, briefly whisk the creamy broth to incorporate. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve and enjoy!