The day started like any other. The Little Lady woke up and that meant I had to get up (which I really did NOT want to do — I love my bed!).
Breakfast time! I decided to break out the wonderfully delicious
box of homemade Baked Apple Oatmeal. Since the Little Lady has THREE molars all coming in at once, she refused to do anything but stay on my hip. So, Super Mama, with only the use of her baby-free right hand, pushed the microwave button boiled the water & dumped gently poured the oatmeal into the bowl
Problem: it smelled like Apple-Cinnamon Thera-Flu. I absolutely HATE Thera-Flu.
Solution: add more cinnamon. After that, the overly pungent, “mediciney” apple aroma was gone. This was going to be good.
But, it wasn’t.
Too bad I didn’t know that cinnamon can irritate the skin, specifically The Little Lady’s skin.
I felt HORRIBLE! Mommy guilt coursed through me; how could I have done this to my baby? Why didn’t I know about the dangers of cinnamon? Who knew there was a seedy underworld to spices, where evil grains of torture are disguised as sweet smelling additives?????
Thankfully, her raisins soothed her injured feelings and all was right with her breakfast world.
As the day progressed, the irritation subsided and the Little Lady played as normal, even smiling for a few pictures. She had forgiven me.
Or, so I thought. Did you notice that her grin in the previous picture has just a hint of diabolical plotting behind it? Yeah, she got me back. Those raisins she ate at breakfast? She swallowed them whole, saving them for later. Those of you with kids know what I’m alluding to . . . but I didn’t take pictures of THAT!
Later that evening, I admitted my mistake to the Hubby.
“What? You didn’t know that cinnamon can burn?”
My husband, who has always claimed to know nothing about kids, apparently knew that one fact, as he very grandly and learnedly told me.
(Grrrrr. . .)