Something we just went through a few weeks ago (which can be stressful on any family) is a move.
It wasn’t just a simple move but a move to a different city. We got lucky that we were moving back home but we did build up the move for Little Man starting a few months before it happened.
Here are some handy tips on what we did to make the move easier on our son.
- Moving home we were able to hype up that we were moving closer to Grandma. This was a big one for us as he loves spending time with her.
- Little Man LOVES school so we went on and on about how when summer was over he would get to go to a brand new school and make lots of new friends.
- While we were dealing with the move itself we had him spend time with his godmother and her kids so that he got to see them before we moved away. His godmother used this time to tell him she can’t wait to come visit him at the new house.
- As soon as we arrived in the new city we drove him by the new house. After this he kept asking us when we got to live in the new house as he could not wait to move in and have his pets be home.
- Move in day we had him with Grandma spending time with her. By the time he got to come to the new house we had his room and all his toys set up.
- Most importantly try your hardest to NOT change their routine at this time. They will be going through enough changes so keeping everything as normal as you can will help greatly.
These suggestions are obviously based on our personal experience moving. Take them and tweak them to work for your family. It is all about being creative and helping the children feel involved and being happy for the new adventure waiting at the new place.
Has your family moved? What did you find helped your children transition smoothly?
Nolie is the owner/author of Nolie’s Place, where she blogs about life as a mom and shares the occassional deal and giveaway. She is a Stay at Home Mom to a wonderful 4 year old boy and is expecting baby #2 in October.