A few weeks ago, I made a BUNCH of different recipes all revolving around one concept: Muddy Buddies. And, if you don’t know what those are, you were never a high-school girl. Because Muddy Buddies pretty much sum up my high-school years. I can remember MANY a slumber party and late night bus trip from football games (riding first as a band nerd and then later as one of the school mascots, thankyouverymuch) where we would munch on a back of powdery, chocolatey, peanut-buttery cereal. It was manna to us.
When I graduated high school, I don’t think I ever saw another bowl of Muddy Buddies. We college girls ate raw cookie dough … but that’s a whole other post.
Back to my batches and batches and batches of Muddy Buddies. After being approached to work on a new holiday recipe, I was determined to make a new variation of the classic Muddy Buddy recipe that I knew from my teen years. I didn’t want peanut butter anywhere near these things … I wanted different.
After asking friends and readers about different flavor combinations, I settled one three: Mexican Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies, Salted White Chocolate Muddy Buddies, and Double Chocolate Muddy Buddies.
And then, the lovely folks at my Husband’s work got to be the official “Following In My Shoes Taste Testers” . . . a job they took VERY seriously. All day long, the Husband told me, a staff member would walk into his office and give his or her opinion, ranking them, weighing the pros and cons … and, in the case of these Triple Chocolate Muddy Buddies, one young man walked in, threw his hands in the air and announced that “THE TRIPLE-CHOCOLATE ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!”
That, folks, is the clear-cut indicator of a winner.
p.s. The other two recipes? Coming soon!
- 1 cup Semi Sweet Chips or Chunks
- 1 Cup Milk Chocolate Chips
- 9 cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix*
- 1 cup crushed candy canes (optional ... if you're in the mood for peppermint!)
- Divide the Rice Chex Cereal into equal portions, putting one half in a large mixing bowl and setting aside the other half in a smaller bowl.
- Set your microwave to "Half Power" and microwave the semi-sweet chocolate chips, stopping every 15 seconds and stirring each time till the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Pour over the Rice Chex cereal in the mixing bowl and gently fold till the semi-sweet chocolate covers the cereal. Pour the coated cereal into a gallon sized freezer bag and set aside.
- Pour the set-aside portion of Rice Chex cereal into the mixing bowl.
- Set your microwave to "Half Power" and microwave the milk chocolate chips, stopping every 15 seconds and stirring each time till the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Pour the melted milk chocolate over the remaining cereal and fold to coat the cereal. Add the milk chocolate cereal to the semi-sweet chocolate cereal in the freezer bag.
- Gently add the dry Devil's Food Cake Mix, and (if desired) add the crushed candy canes. COMPLETELY seal the zippered freezer bag and shake till the cereal is fully coated with the cake mix.
- Pour out onto parchment paper to set -- discard remaining powder. Serve immediately or store mix in airtight container.