Some may call me a wee bit obsessive when it comes to “advanced meal planning” for the days after Barney Kneeknuckles’ arrival.
I assure you… I am not obsessed. In all honesty, I’m really just terrified.
I know what I’m like when sleep deprived and coming off of pregnancy hormones — it’s not pretty. And this time, I will have three kidlets to handle instead of two:
- One of whom is starting Preschool 4 days after my c-section;
- One of whom is a two year old boy (’nuff said);
- One of whom will probably have his/her days and nights mixed up and want to use me as a 24-hour dairy bar.
All year, since the discovery that there would BE a “Numero Three,” I have tried out various freezer meals in anticipation of making up a BUNCH of meals for the first two weeks after Barney’s birth.
This weekend… I finalized my meal plan and assembled and froze the majority of the meals.
(and, now, I’m exhausted — but that’s beside the point)
What kind of meals did I choose for after the birth? Easy meals — crock-pot meals and meals where a main component could be prepared (and frozen) NOW. For the most part, every meal will require a mere thaw and dump in the slow cooker … or a thaw and then a trip off to the grill.
EASY MEALS here, folks.
For some of those meals (like tostadas and sloppy joes), I made it even simpler by batch cooking ground turkey. Several pounds of browned meat now sit in my freezer — ready to complete a quick meal.
Ready to see our post-birth meal plan? Below is the list (and links) for what we’ll be eating those 2-3 weeks after Barney Kneeknuckles arrival. At this point, every crock-pot meal, grill meal, and protein is assembled/cooked and waiting in my freezer. Between now and my c-section date, I will be gathering the other components (vegetables, breads and rolls, sides, etc.) and freezing them as well.
Just trying to make it easy on myself!
The Post-Baby Meal List
- Crock-pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Crock-pot Minestrone Soup
- Pizza (pepperoni/mushroom) – dough already prepped and frozen
- Pasta/Bolognese Sauce (pasta sauce is made and frozen), add Italian Sausage or pre-cooked Homemade Meatballs, and serve with salad/green beans
- Grilled Bleu Cheese Burgers (burgers have been assembled and flash-frozen), buns, roasted potatoes
- Crock-pot Greek Chicken (ready to go in the freezer), served over egg noodles with salad
- Grilled Sweet and Sour Kebabs (assembled and frozen), jasmine rice
- Sloppy Joes (using precooked/frozen meat), buns roasted red potatoes
- Tostadas (using precooked/frozen meat), salad
- Tacos (using precooked/frozen meat), refried beans/Spanish rice
- Crock-Pot Roasted Chicken and veggies
- Grilled Marinated Chicken Breasts, vegetables/salad
- “Brinner”– waffles and bacon
Whew! Now, someone . . . anyone . . . please reassure me! Three kidlets is gonna be a piece of cake, right? ? ? ? ?